Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (LR), first launched in 2007, is a photo processing program with additional file management capabilities built in that make it a favorite among photographers editing large numbers of images for events such as a wedding. It is very popular due to the fact of how much time it saves working photographers when completing their post-processing through the Lightroom workflows. Adobe needed Lightroom as the next evolution of their editing programs and workflow to address the growing need brought on by the digital photography explosion to edit hundreds of photos at a time.
Timeline for Lightroom Versions & Release Dates
This release timeline does not include every single new feature released throughout Lightroom’s history. We’ve included the major features and you can find links to more exhaustive lists at the bottom of the page.
Lightroom Version 1.0 Release
- A Beta Version of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom was released in January 2006 and 1.0 was released in February 2007.
Lightroom Version 2.0 Release
- 2.0 was released in July 2008.
- 64-bit support
- Flexible printing options
- Improved organization tools
- Localized corrections
- Multiple monitor support
Lightroom Version 3.0 Release
- 3.0 was released in October 2009.
- Chroma noise reduction
- Custom package for print
- Import pseudo module
- Improved sharpening tool
- Luminance noise reduction
- Point curve
- Publish services
- Tethered shooting
- Video file support
Lightroom Version 4.0 Release
- 4.0 was released in March 2012.
- Email from Lightroom
- Extended video support
- Highlight and shadow recovery
- Location-based organization
- Photo book creation with templates
- Soft proofing
- Video publishing tools
- White balance brush
Lightroom CC Release (Version 5.0) – 2013
- 5.0 was released in June 2013
- Advanced healing-cloning brush
- Automatic perspective correction
- Radial gradient
- Save custom layouts in Book module
- Smart collection enhancements
- Smart previews with offline images
- Support of PNG files
- Support of video files in slideshows
Lightroom CC 2014 Release (Version 5.4) – 2014
- 5.4 was released in April 2014. CC 2014 was released in June 2014.
- Ipad Syncing a collection to Lightroom Mobile App
Lightroom CC 2015 Release (Version 6.0) – 2015
- 6.0 was released in April 2015. CC 2015 was released in June 2015.
- Advanced video slideshows
- Facial recognition
- Filter Brush
- HDR Merge
- Panorama Merge
Lightroom CC 2015.5 Release (Version 6.4) – 2016
- 6.4 was released in January 2016. CC 2015.5 was released in June 2016.
- Camera raw support
- Improved panorama stitching
- Lens profile support
- New Boundary Warp feature